As the UK’s largest not-for-profit college of higher education, Regent’s College London prides itself on being able to offer everything students need to fulfill their academic and personal potential – including a wireless LAN to support the campuses Wi-Fi needs and the BYOD trend.
The College has over 3,500 full-time students - 90 percent of which are international. Regent’s College Conference Centre bears host to an array of events every year - ranging from seminar and meeting rooms to large conferences for up to 500 delegates - both private and corporate.
WLAN Network Challenges
Already equipped with the latest learning resources, such as Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), as well as 24/7 access to IT facilities and support, the College wanted to offer its students and staff uninterrupted and secure wireless access throughout the campus and conference center.
The existing controller-based 3Com wireless network was unable to offer the quality of service the College needed at this scale. The college was also experiencing a high BYOD (bring your own device) demand for Wi-Fi access from students who were moving away from traditional laptop devices and starting to use mobile Internet devices.
The College wanted a wireless network that would allow them to operate a secure, easy to manage, future-proof network that could support smart phone adoption in the spirit of the exploding BYOD trend, and meet students’ growing expectations.
Students began bringing smart devices, such as iPads and BlackBerrys, on campus. Previously they were unable to log on to the network because the College didn’t have the management capabilities. It was deemed important to find a WLAN solution that would allow the College to provide reliable access to all students regardless of what device they were using.
The Aerohive Wi-Fi Solution
Regent’s College London assessed WLAN solutions from Aerohive and Meru, but chose Aerohive based on its ability to scale with the College’s ambitions and compelling price point.
Regent’s College London successfully implemented the Aerohive controller-less WLAN with the help of trusted IT partner, LAN3, and now has the capability to cope with the huge influx of smart devices coming onto the network from students, staff and guests to the College and conference center.
The College plans to roll out the controller-less WLAN across the campus, providing wireless access anywhere and everywhere.
- Delivering best of breed learning tools to its highly-expectant, and rapidly growing student base, is essential - technology plays a critical role in this.
- Regent’s College wanted to offer its students and staff uninterrupted and secure wireless access throughout the campus and conference center.
- The IS department experiencing high demand for Wi-Fi access from students due to the exploding BYOD trend.
Aerohive controller-less Wi-Fi Solution Benefits
- The capability to cope with the huge influx of smart devices coming onto the network from students, staff and guests driven by the BYOD trend.
- External APs mean students can log on to the Internet, browse and access applications, such as Blackboard VLE and Citrix XenDesktop, in some of the outside areas if they wish.
- Providing students with reliable Wi-Fi is improving the learning experience, as well as the tools needed to network with peers and communicate with relatives and friends.
Aerohive’s forward-thinking and innovative technology complements our mission to provide best-of-breed learning resources to our students... HiveManager enables us to manage and control the network and user access - using many automated tools - from one location.
Network and Infrastructure Manager
Read the complete case study here.