A little while back, I accidentally started a mini firestorm on Twitter by asking folks’ opinions about their Top X most important product feature considerations when designing and deploying a Wi-Fi network. As you can imagine, the responses were highly variable, yet most answers were surprising good.
Some of the high-level considerations before deciding on what kind of system to purchase, what features are needed in that system, and who you will purchase the system from include (but are not limited to) …
- Vertical Markets Being Served by the Vendor (EDU, HEALTH, RETAIL)
- Size of Markets Being Served by the Vendor (SOHO, SMB, SME, ENT)
- Client Device Types & Capabilities Being Used on the Network
- Indoor / Outdoor Equipment Requirements
- Type of Management System Desired/Needed (HW, SW, Cloud)
- Type of Deployment (Centralized / Distributed)
- Cost & Budget types (CAPEX / OPEX)
- Wired Integration & Features (SWITCHING, ROUTING)
- Resilience, Scalability, and Cost Effectiveness of the Platform Architecture
Based on this list (or others you could add to it), I would very much like to hear from the audience. Would you mind offering me your Top 5 Most Important Things in Wi-Fi and then qualify your reasoning using the list above?
Here’s a simple example of what I’m looking for:
My Top 5 are:
Ease of use
Quick to initially configure
The reason for my list is that I have spent the last 10 years working for XYZ company, a distributed enterprise. I’m the only IT admin, and we have 100 branch locations. We don’t need a huge feature set, but it does have to be quick and easy to roll out to 100 locations and to update everything as changes are needed. I only get a small budget to buy new hardware, but I get some on-going budget for management and maintenance, so you can see why I chose these requirements.
It would be great to have the perspectives of consultants, journalists, analysts, administrators, systems engineers at manufacturers and channel partners (VADs & VARs), and others. Everyone has a different perspective, and that’s what makes the world go around. For a manufacturer, it’s important to capture those perspectives in order to offer the best products and features to specific markets and customers bases.
Anyone want to offer your Top 5?